On the Harassment of WH Members

This is the place to check for rules, updates, and special announcements.
User avatar
Andrew
Senior
Senior
Posts: 3022
Joined: Sunday June 13, 2010, 19:43 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer
Location: Massachusetts
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 23

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520376

Post by Andrew » Monday May 01, 2017, 20:25 EDT

Kevin wrote:
Monday May 01, 2017, 16:58 EDT
Ahhh, arguments. They bring me back to what this site looked like in 2008/2009.
I wish we could like posts here.

But good times...good times indeed.
Image
User avatar
Trekboy008
Dean
Dean
Posts: 3623
Joined: Sunday December 20, 2009, 00:03 EST
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Preferred Role: 70% Nerd
Location: Greater Boston Area, Massachusetts
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 28
Contact:

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520379

Post by Trekboy008 » Monday May 01, 2017, 21:38 EDT

To set the record straight, I will be the first to admit that myself and the rest of the mods were more or less blindsided by this situation and that both upsets me and troubles me deeply. I do not like presiding over a site where members have left because they do not feel safe, and I am trying (and still figuring out how, exactly) to make this right. It is clear to me that the current slate of mods are incapable of giving this site the attention that it both needs and deserves. I do not mean this as a slight against any of the current mods. Several of you indicated to me when I first asked you to be mods that you would not be able to devote a lot of attention to this site. Several others have had significant life changes since they first started serving, and it is totally understandable that they are no longer able to devote the attention to this site that they used to. I thought that the site was functioning well enough that a more robust presence wouldn't be necessary. I was wrong.

As I indicated in previous posts on this thread, I am open to increasing the staff and adding more active members to our roster. I have now decided to formalize that process. On the top left of the page, just below the logo, you should see an "Application Form" field. If you are interested in becoming a mod, I encourage you to fill it out. Note: The form asks you to submit your "real name." This is unnecessary, you can merely use your username. Right now, there is no firm deadline to submit applications; they will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If and when we reach an appropriate staffing level, I will disable the form.

I appreciate the criticism that I have received recently, and I ask for patience as I and the other mods determine the best way forward.

Trek
Image
User avatar
DesuzaKiddo
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 151
Joined: Tuesday May 12, 2015, 19:42 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 20

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520383

Post by DesuzaKiddo » Monday May 01, 2017, 22:53 EDT

Okay holy cow, you guys went fast with this debate. Im just going to reply to your post since you were responding to me and everyone else seems to have sorted themselves out (maybe?) in the thread.

I'm going to be honest that I'm just very cautious about letting non-mods be the "law enforcement" because let's face it, it doesn't seem to have left good feelings on either side; some because it happened, others because it had to, in your opinion, happen. Now I wasn't on for this chat discussion so that leaves me in a difficult spot as someone with no knowledge of the proceedings. I will say that I personally can't really take your word that any allegations were true because I'm unaware of a feature that lets us review chat messages so I can read what happened, nor have I heard mention of any actual picture evidence either. So even if you felt justified, I as an outsider can't tell if it was which is the issue to me.
S.A.W wrote:
Monday May 01, 2017, 11:43 EDT
The whole reason for a process is for action to be taken. When there is a lack of action, members do what they must to stop unsavory behaviors. If the mods are really that pissed at what I did, they are more than welcome to ban me.
I fully agree with this statement, and how you discuss the need for reorganizing if this did go unnoticed, which Trek has assessed him self so I won't go into it anymore. However, I just would like to point out that this is more the reality of what happened as opposed to what should have happened. Blame belongs on multiple fronts perhaps, but regardless, the need for public, no matter how few people, shaming should have been avoided. That's why I can't "side" with your initial refusal to consider maybe your actions may have been out of line, mostly because even if they were necessary in the situation, something I still am unsure of, they were still not how this forum should be run. That said, it seems solutions are being proposed and worked on and we can hopefully work past this point in the site's history.

*cough* I will say using the seniority card in an argument is like one of the best ways to lose your argument, but that wa sin reply to the guy who started the swearing so I don't have much sympathy for him.
Image
“Pitiful zombies… You dare challenge me to a dance battle?!”
User avatar
S.A.W
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 167
Joined: Monday October 10, 2016, 00:11 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 70% Bully
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 19

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520398

Post by S.A.W » Tuesday May 02, 2017, 09:10 EDT

Trekboy008 wrote:
Monday May 01, 2017, 21:38 EDT
I appreciate the criticism that I have received recently, and I ask for patience as I and the other mods determine the best way forward
Trek, I have nothing but respect for you and appreciate your honesty. I truly hope you and the team are able to find a solution to this
User avatar
Andrew
Senior
Senior
Posts: 3022
Joined: Sunday June 13, 2010, 19:43 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer
Location: Massachusetts
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 23

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520410

Post by Andrew » Tuesday May 02, 2017, 14:39 EDT

I feel like we're at that point where people are just adding their points to stuff that has already been discussed over a hundred times, and it looks worse because they try to jump into a conversation they know absolutely nothing about on specific examples and will even admit that. Therefore, I think we've reached the end of this civil discussion because it's not even worth responding to for my own sanity. And, I too, hope for a better outcome in all of this.
Image
User avatar
Rachel
Professor
Professor
Posts: 5020
Joined: Monday November 01, 2010, 22:08 EDT
Gender Identity: Prefer not to answer
Sexual Orientation: Prefer not to answer
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer
Location: Canada
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 18
Contact:

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520448

Post by Rachel » Tuesday May 02, 2017, 22:01 EDT

Just like to point out that if people want to report to a female mod, I still exist. I don't post a lot but I do check in on the site a couple times a week.
Image
SilverFusion
Professor
Professor
Posts: 993
Joined: Tuesday January 21, 2014, 22:50 EST
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 90% Nerd
Location: USA
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 19

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520485

Post by SilverFusion » Thursday May 04, 2017, 00:01 EDT

My turn to respond:

My biggest problem is the affirmation. I am rarely on the chat. I can never really tell whether an action is offensive enough or not. I do admit I have been informed of the tension. I have seen some of the evidence and it's hard for me to formally draw a proper conclusion. If anyone would like to talk to me about this, don't hesitate. I'll even give my kik to you as that is my main wedgie related social media.

I also apologize for the abscence lately. I have had to deal with a lot of personal issues lately and a lot of work in school.

Hope this helps,

Silver
Wedgie lover but also a good listener. Feel free to message me for advice and wedgie conversations.

Likes: Jock Locks and Regular Wedgies

Image
User avatar
Derek
Professor
Professor
Posts: 1418
Joined: Sunday March 20, 2011, 22:21 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd
Location: Ohio
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 27
Contact:

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520516

Post by Derek » Thursday May 04, 2017, 15:55 EDT

I also would like to add that I am on the site pretty much daily. I may not post everyday but I am in fact here. Anyone is more than welcome to report anything to me on the subject of harassment. I have never gotten anything about it, therefore I haven't taken in action.
User avatar
Captain Hammer
Professor
Professor
Posts: 26468
Joined: Sunday November 13, 2011, 11:36 EST
Gender Identity: Prefer not to answer
Sexual Orientation: Prefer not to answer
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer
Location: I don't know, but its cold and really wet. I'm either in England or the bottom of a lake.
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 24

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520547

Post by Captain Hammer » Friday May 05, 2017, 10:57 EDT

Since I wasn't online here the past few days I kind of missed this.

While I understand people feel that the mods don't take action when its reported, I'm going to bring something up. Looking at the PM reports on the system, the last message somebody flagged was in 2015, and it was a spambot, not a harassing user. The last time I got a PM about a user harassing someone was also back in 2015. While its possible one of the site crashes might have deleted more recent messages, we've not had any since those crashes happened.
When we say we need people to report the instances to us, we're not deflecting blame. Messages just aren't getting reported like they should, and without that, we can't do a damn thing since we can't just read people's messages without them flagging them for us.

This isn't like I just don't get messages from people, people message me all the time for other things (even reporting other users for things *other* than harassment), but I've not had anyone come to me asking for help. I don't doubt this harassment is happening, I believe everyone when they say its happening because my experience on other sites or from before I became a mod shows its a common thing, and I have dealt with reported harassment in the past, when it *has* been reported.

I will accept blame for the fact I've not been on the site much recently, as I've had a lot of personal issues and generally focused most of my free energy into writing on DA, so I've not been involved in every time the mods discuss a case of harassment. However, I would gladly deal with any issue of harassment that do get reported to me.
When you message me, please remember not to annoy me. Remember...
Image
User avatar
ChaosReacon
Enrolled
Posts: 61
Joined: Tuesday January 27, 2015, 04:05 EST
Gender Identity: Cross-dresser
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd
Location: Canada
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 24
Contact:

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520552

Post by ChaosReacon » Friday May 05, 2017, 13:35 EDT

Seeing how the mods were blindsided by this, I had a feeling it was something in the system that wasn't notifying them. And this is the reason I say if anyone sees something, report it. Because in cases like this, if you don't know if a function isn't working then you won't fix until an issue gets as big as this.

And with that, thank you mods for taking responsibility and acknowledging what the issues may be.

Everyone else, we may not fully understand the issues at hand, but we do have the power to help them understand when issues arise.
User avatar
S.A.W
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 167
Joined: Monday October 10, 2016, 00:11 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 70% Bully
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 19

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520553

Post by S.A.W » Friday May 05, 2017, 14:54 EDT

ChaosReacon wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 13:35 EDT
Seeing how the mods were blindsided by this, I had a feeling it was something in the system that wasn't notifying them. And this is the reason I say if anyone sees something, report it. Because in cases like this, if you don't know if a function isn't working then you won't fix until an issue gets as big as this.

And with that, thank you mods for taking responsibility and acknowledging what the issues may be.

Everyone else, we may not fully understand the issues at hand, but we do have the power to help them understand when issues arise.
You seem like the type of person who can only get aroused by being pseudointellectual and snooty.
User avatar
ChaosReacon
Enrolled
Posts: 61
Joined: Tuesday January 27, 2015, 04:05 EST
Gender Identity: Cross-dresser
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd
Location: Canada
OK to "cold PM?": Yes
Age: 24
Contact:

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520555

Post by ChaosReacon » Friday May 05, 2017, 14:59 EDT

S.A.W wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 14:54 EDT
You seem like the type of person who can only get aroused by being pseudointellectual and snooty.
You really are not helping the issue. If you're not here to solve the issue then stop picking fights. This will be my last message to you unless you can prove yourself otherwise
User avatar
S.A.W
Freshman
Freshman
Posts: 167
Joined: Monday October 10, 2016, 00:11 EDT
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: 70% Bully
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 19

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520556

Post by S.A.W » Friday May 05, 2017, 15:00 EDT

The mods have said their peace, just as most everyone else has as well.
User avatar
Captain Hammer
Professor
Professor
Posts: 26468
Joined: Sunday November 13, 2011, 11:36 EST
Gender Identity: Prefer not to answer
Sexual Orientation: Prefer not to answer
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer
Location: I don't know, but its cold and really wet. I'm either in England or the bottom of a lake.
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 24

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520565

Post by Captain Hammer » Friday May 05, 2017, 19:07 EDT

ChaosReacon wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 13:35 EDT
Seeing how the mods were blindsided by this, I had a feeling it was something in the system that wasn't notifying them. And this is the reason I say if anyone sees something, report it. Because in cases like this, if you don't know if a function isn't working then you won't fix until an issue gets as big as this.
Just to clarify, its not that the system wasn't notifying us, its that nobody was using the system. Non-harassment issues (spam, inappropriate material, etc) have been reported to us and dealt with, but nobody was flagging any harassment and so we had no way to know when it was happening and to/from who.
S.A.W wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 14:54 EDT
You seem like the type of person who can only get aroused by being pseudointellectual and snooty.
Really not needed or called for.
When you message me, please remember not to annoy me. Remember...
Image
User avatar
CassieFox
Professor
Professor
Posts: 25
Joined: Friday February 10, 2017, 18:56 EST
Gender Identity: Female
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
Preferred Role: 80% Bully
Location: Motown
OK to "cold PM?": No
Age: 23

Re: On the Harassment of WH Members

#520567

Post by CassieFox » Friday May 05, 2017, 19:48 EDT

ChaosReacon wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 14:59 EDT
S.A.W wrote:
Friday May 05, 2017, 14:54 EDT
You seem like the type of person who can only get aroused by being pseudointellectual and snooty.
You really are not helping the issue. If you're not here to solve the issue then stop picking fights. This will be my last message to you unless you can prove yourself otherwise
AHAHAHAHAH, I uh mean, uncalled for Sawsy. Funny, but not appropriate
Ayy, I remember syrup sandwiches and crime allowances
Finesse a nigga with some counterfeits
But now I'm countin' this
Parmesan where my accountant lives
Post Reply