Dean
Dean
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Preferred Role: 70% Nerd
OK to "cold PM?": Yes

Ghosts of Wedgies Past, Present, and Future

Post by Trekboy008 » Monday December 25, 2017, 21:46 EST

As we approach the 13th year of this site's existence (and the 8th year of its existence in its current form), I wanted to take the opportunity to reflect on the future of this site and the changes in the online wedgie community.

When this site first began all those years ago, the online landscape was quite different. The mecca of m/m wedgie sites, World Wide Wedgie, had been gone for about a year and a half and the wedgie community at the time moved to Yahoo Groups as a way to keep the community going. That worked for a while, until Yahoo began shutting down those groups because of their content.

A new message board, Wedgie Heaven, entered the scene as a place for the m/m wedgie community to congregate and post content. Unlike earlier sites, Wedgie Heaven's format as a message board allowed for a much greater degree of interaction between members. Unfortunately, the owner of that site disappeared after a few short months, leaving no one with the power to administer the site.

That's where I came into the picture. Not wanting to see the community wither and die, I created a new message board called Wedgie Heaven II to continue what Wedgie Heaven had begun. As the site grew and surpassed the original, it no longer made sense to call it Wedgie Heaven II, so the name was changed to Wedgie Haven, with the goal being that the site would be a refuge for the wedgie community (particularly the m/m wedgie community).

Over the years, a strong sense of community developed between certain members and the site ran remarkably smoothly. The moderators were active and involved and, although there were some bumps and rough patches, things generally were going well.

Of course, it's important not to look back on this time with rose-colored glasses. The sense of community felt by some members developed into a clique that was felt by other members to be rather exclusionary. This tightly knit group would monopolize certain sections of the site and talk for hours mainly about non wedgie-related things, which in and of itself is fine, but was frequently accompanied by a sense of derision when other members would want to use the same public space to talk about wedgie-related things.

In any event, time continued to pass. People got older, life circumstances changed, and the internet itself changed. Much of the core group (both moderators and non-moderators) eventually left for a variety of reasons. At the same time, new sites such as Tumblr and Instagram came along, making the sharing of images and videos far easier than it had been. Additionally, several prominent sites that focused on female wedgies went under, leading to an influx of female members here.

All of this is a long-winded way of bringing us to the present moment. Sites and services like Instagram, Tumblr, Slack, and Discord have made several of the core functions of this site seemingly redundant, and I find myself wondering how much of this site is necessary in the present moment. Add in an apparent harassment crisis that, honestly, I'm not sure we have the capacity to effectively deal with and I find myself wondering for the first time in a long time whether the benefits of this site existing continue to outweigh the costs.

None of this is to say that this site will definitely be closing in the near term, but it has existed for nearly 13 years with very few significant structural changes. Given the way the internet has changed in that time, it would certainly seem prudent to re-evaluate the structure and purpose of this site to see if it still makes sense to run and what changes, if any, should be made to it. Given that this site is nothing without its members, I would appreciate any constructive feedback, thoughts, or suggestions that any of you have.
Darkness
Senior
Senior
Preferred Role: 100% Nerd (Receiver)
OK to "cold PM?": No

Re: Ghosts of Wedgies Past, Present, and Future

Post by Darkness » Monday December 25, 2017, 22:40 EST

If all else fails, I have the leadership to take over or start a new forum
It shouldn't be a big deal
I am the darkness
I'm a bad boy that deserves to get wedgies from cute men
selfwedgie13
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: Loner (Selfer)

Post by selfwedgie13 » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 00:34 EST

I, for one, still use this site as a hub for wedgie content and RPing, and, not being active on any other sites that have wedgie content, would have nowhere else to go if this site were to disappear. That said, if this site were to disappear, it wouldn't be the end of the world, though I would miss being able to interact with some of the friends I've met here, and that would be a shame, but if I'm being totally honest, it may be for the best considering the amount of time I spend here, even when I have more important things that I should be doing.
briefpuller
Professor
Professor
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd

Post by briefpuller » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 15:00 EST

I, too remember the days when I used to creep through those Yahoo groups. I also remember Wedgie Haven in its hay day. It’s sad, but I think the golden years are behind us. Most of what I see posted on this page in terms of content, I’ve already seen on either Tumblr or Instagram. If I were to restructure this site, I would like to see the story section be revitalized. I miss getting new, well-written stories to read every day. Now it seems as though we rarely get anything. I see too much bickering going on too, so I’d like the chat to be removed, and honestly I wouldn’t mind if this gets changed from the current design to a submission platform where posts are approved by moderators before appearing publicly. Just a few thoughts on my end.
weggier743
Enrolled
Sexual Orientation: Prefer not to answer
Preferred Role: 60% Nerd

Post by weggier743 » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 17:52 EST

I agree with what briefpuller said about the stories section, I've been going through a lot of the old stories and WH has pretty decent collection of m/m wedgie stories and it's hard to find something like that anywhere else. I know there are stories on DeviantArt too but I find it harder to find what I'm looking for on that site.

Being able to share stories and have discussions is what makes WH stand out from tumblr/instagram IMO.
Trekboy008
Dean
Dean
Preferred Role: 70% Nerd

Post by Trekboy008 » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 19:24 EST

Restructuring the site to focus on stories is an idea I'm toying with, since I think that's our best advantage over Tumblr, etc.
feeling the aster
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Preferred Role: 60% Bully

Post by feeling the aster » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 20:35 EST

Eh personally, I don't think stories are our strong suit. 99% of them are the same, nerd/little brother gets wedgies because they wear tighty whiteys or they are forced to wear them. There are some outliers but the majority are like this.

I am Imfeeling22 from the last site
AndyMocha
Enrolled
Sexual Orientation: Pansexual

Post by AndyMocha » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 21:54 EST

I believe that cliche story problem is even worse on other sites. This site at least has a decent chunk of good stories, way more then I've read anywhere else that is.
I think it's 50/50, and plus some people like cliches.
Nasty~
selfwedgie13
Senior
Senior

Post by selfwedgie13 » Tuesday December 26, 2017, 23:01 EST

I actually think the "outliers" are actually becoming more common. Certainly in the past, a lot of the stories were very cliche, fanservice type stories, but for the past few years I've seen a lot more decent stories that focus more on telling a good story than rehashing the same plot over and over again. Admittedly, there are still stories like that, but I really don't think they're as common now as they used to be, and I think that owes mainly to the fact that the writers on this site are much more mature and serious about their writing than many of them were in the past.
briefpuller
Professor
Professor

Post by briefpuller » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 00:23 EST

I’m not sure. In my history with this community, I’ve tended to focus on the stories over anything else, and I feel quite the opposite. I miss when our members were writing excellent stories left and right, and the site’s seen a massive decline in recent years in that arena. Yes, the grammar may get better as we age, but I feel that overall the good writers are far and few between now. That being said, we do have a few gems that have been written recently, but it’s just rare now.
selfwedgie13
Senior
Senior

Post by selfwedgie13 » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 00:26 EST

Honestly, writing stories at all seems rare these days, but I still feel that there are a larger percentage of recent stories that are well-written and unique than ones that are the same cliche plots over and over again; it's just not as easy to see now since there are so few new stories to read through.
KaseyJ
Junior
Junior

Post by KaseyJ » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 04:22 EST

To jump in here, I think this site's strong suits are stories, a wider reach than many thinks like Instagram, Twitter, or Discord groups, and long-term rps.

For my own personal story time, I was a somewhat active member on a site that closed down years back called TheWedgieKids. I was probably around 13 or 14. I felt rather... lost. I had heard about WedgieHaven before and when I had nowhere else to go, decided to give it a try. I crept around for a while and then finally got around to making an account. I was way more active in the past, though that's like saying four specs of sand is more than three. I feel like I dropped in activity the most when the site went through that issue a year or so back now and had to briefly switch platforms.

As the occasional writer, and one that can never finish a long-term, multi-chapter story, I find that its hard to find inspiration. I used to write to get ideas out of my head that would drive me crazy in school. Now, I'm so busy I barely have time to think about it and most of my "talent" of writing goes to rps I do on an individual basis. When I rp throughout most days to different extents, I don't often feel like sitting down and writing more. This is really just a long winded way of saying that I'm just busy and don't have much time for it and get my jollies with quick, on the go role-playing since I don't have the time to sit and do it all in one go (I know, run on sentence. It's tragic.)

As for the harassment problem... Well. That horse is dead. And then it was beaten. Everyone shouted, "Hey, stop beating that horse!" erstwhile beating said dead horse into something that looked nothing like the horse that was once alive.

All I will say, is that it isn't just on this site. It's everywhere, in every wedgie community and beyond. People, mostly women, get harassed for anything remotely considered sexual. And its online so its all the easier. I won't point fingers at anyone, but I truly agree with Trek in this matter. I don't think this site is equipped to solve that issue. It's not this site's fault. The site is a tool, just like the internet itself. The absolute only thing I think this site could truly, really do, to aid in any way to that, would somehow, someway, make a block button so you won't have to be PMed by someone harassing you. That issue, on the whole, is a cultural issue that goes beyond even just the sexual everywhere on the internet. There is a good view on the horizon for that particular problem with the whole "Silence Breakers." Anywho.

If this site were to disband, I would hope that another would take its place. Of course, it wouldn't be the same. It would, hopefully, take all the good things learned from here, all the positives, and add to them. Prop them up into the limelight. But it would also have to have learned from the mistakes. And there are more than a couple that no one particular person could ever, or should ever, be blamed for.

I think many would miss this site. I would be among them.
Stumbling through the adventures of life with a smile.

xD
Darkness
Senior
Senior

Post by Darkness » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 14:29 EST

So just give the site to me
I can handle it
I am the darkness
Pseudonym
Enrolled

Post by Pseudonym » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 19:04 EST

Darkness wrote:
Wednesday December 27, 2017, 14:29 EST
So just give the site to me
I can handle it
It's safe to say you will never get this site, dude.
Darkness
Senior
Senior

Post by Darkness » Wednesday December 27, 2017, 20:14 EST

So just let the site die? I know none of you will be able to step up to the plate
I am the darkness