Senior
Senior
Gender Identity: Male
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual
Preferred Role: 60% Bully
OK to "cold PM?": No

Re: Ghosts of Wedgies Past, Present, and Future

Post by feeling the aster » Thursday December 28, 2017, 17:47 EST

Darkness, while it's good you care So much about the site, do you even know the first thing about running a website? Liking wedgies isn't the same as running and maintaining a website. The fact your ideas are to do just what we're doing now shows you probably don't. Also the more you ask for the site, the further you get from the extremely slim chance you have at getting it. Repeating give it to give it to me and saying shit like "none of you will step up" isn't the behavior a site owner should have.

I am Imfeeling22 from the last site
feeling the aster
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Bisexual

Post by feeling the aster » Thursday December 28, 2017, 17:58 EST

Another point, the whole waiting for posts to be approved would imo just destroy the already on it's last legs rp section.

I am Imfeeling22 from the last site
Darkness
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Gay
Preferred Role: 100% Nerd (Receiver)

Post by Darkness » Thursday December 28, 2017, 18:02 EST

Good points
I'm the admin of my own forum but that never got much activity so....
I am the darkness
I'm a bad boy that deserves to get wedgies from cute men
Andrew
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Preferred Role: Prefer not to answer

Post by Andrew » Thursday December 28, 2017, 23:03 EST

I don't know why anyone continues to give the self-proclaimed "fucking psychopath" the time of day. Especially when it comes to something like handing over leadership. I really don't. But I digress.
Trekboy008 wrote:
Monday December 25, 2017, 21:46 EST
Of course, it's important not to look back on this time with rose-colored glasses. The sense of community felt by some members developed into a clique that was felt by other members to be rather exclusionary. This tightly knit group would monopolize certain sections of the site and talk for hours mainly about non wedgie-related things, which in and of itself is fine, but was frequently accompanied by a sense of derision when other members would want to use the same public space to talk about wedgie-related things.
Heh. Good times. Yes, we had cliques. Really, just two of them. The "northern" people who were all about wedgies all the time, and the "southern" people of the site who, even when we had interests in wedgies, kept it out of our everyday conversation. Much like this site has transformed, a new site, WHFriends, was created to continue these normal conversations and get to know each other on a personal level without those who can't converse without the word "wedgie" being inserted into every other word. And much like other variations of sites when, for other various reasons also, people grew up and moved on with their lives, that too died out.
Trekboy008 wrote:
Monday December 25, 2017, 21:46 EST
Add in an apparent harassment crisis that, honestly, I'm not sure we have the capacity to effectively deal with and I find myself wondering for the first time in a long time whether the benefits of this site existing continue to outweigh the costs.
I like how you threw in the word "apparent" as if to say that you really had no idea it was as big of a problem as it really was. Especially after all that was done to alter the rules for kids content and not have that be sexualized, to insinuate that you and other mods really had no idea really seems like mods turned a blind eye on this issue.

At the end of the day, any site, any community, becomes of the effort that you put into it. If the people do not care to put forth the effort, then the site becomes nothing. That's already becoming true in the results with lack of activity overall. Side note, I'm 23. Frank, you're 28. Where the hell has the time gone?
briefpuller
Professor
Professor
Preferred Role: 50% Bully/Nerd

Post by briefpuller » Thursday December 28, 2017, 23:29 EST

Can we just agree to not start a fight in this thread? This was published so we can have a civilized discussion about the possible future of this site and all our various ideas. The name calling and accusations is exactly the type of behavior that annoys me most about this site. Not saying we are there yet, I just want to put it out there before we move any further. :)
Andrew
Senior
Senior

Post by Andrew » Thursday December 28, 2017, 23:34 EST

briefpuller wrote:
Thursday December 28, 2017, 23:29 EST
The name calling and accusations is exactly the type of behavior that annoys me most about this site.
I think you missed the "self-proclaimed" part there, buddy. As for accusations, well, all the mods came out of the woodwork when the harassment issue came to light and all said "We had no idea!"
briefpuller
Professor
Professor

Post by briefpuller » Friday December 29, 2017, 08:36 EST

I didn’t miss anything. Let’s continue the discussion about the future of the site, please.
wedgiedudesti
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Questioning
Location: There is nothing here, and its always windy. So it must be Kansas

Post by wedgiedudesti » Friday December 29, 2017, 09:03 EST

I really like the idea that KasseyJ suggested. Making different titles that can be unlocked by members for posting content seems like a fun way to get people posting. Similar to titles that can be unlocked in MMOs. For Instance, if someone posts alot in the department on litirue arts they could unlock the option to have The Bookworm, appear by their user name. each section of the site could have there own titles to unlock, each one indicating how much that person posted in that section, and special titles for those who start new threads in a section.
If you live in Kansas feel free to strike up a conversation with me.
briefpuller
Professor
Professor

Post by briefpuller » Friday December 29, 2017, 09:38 EST

I think that’s a cool idea, but what I love about this site is that the content is free and accessible to everyone who is above the age limit. I don’t know if we should put another layer on that where people can only see certain sections of the site by posting X amount of comments on threads. Or am I misunderstanding?
wedgiedudesti
Senior
Senior
Sexual Orientation: Questioning
Location: There is nothing here, and its always windy. So it must be Kansas

Post by wedgiedudesti » Friday December 29, 2017, 09:55 EST

misunderstanding, they can always access it, but by posting they can unlock titles that can put next to there username. nothing more than that.
If you live in Kansas feel free to strike up a conversation with me.
Andrew
Senior
Senior

Post by Andrew » Friday December 29, 2017, 18:00 EST

There's a difference between constructive criticism and blatant arguing. Mods and certain individuals here don't seem to understand that, also leading to some problems that arise with the site. Not surprising.
Butter
Professor
Professor
Preferred Role: 100% Nerd (Receiver)

Post by Butter » Friday December 29, 2017, 18:55 EST

Tbh Andrew I wish you didn’t talk so condescendingly sometimes towards people. I think you sometimes put good points across but in ruder ways then they need to be.

Going back to the removal of the chat (Which I 100% supported due to people being twats on there, you know who you are.) and thoughts on the site, yeah it’s not perfect now but tbh I don’t think it ever has been. There’s always been problems one way or another be it female harrassment, the site getting hacked repeatedly or literal pedophiles being on the site getting away with who knows what. It hasn’t been easy, but I think in terms of safety this site is better now than it used to be. There’s plenty of options for reporting people’s misconduct and I think the vast majority of people understand them, though wether the mods act on them quickly or not is entirely subjective. I’m barely around as often as I used to be due to my own reasons so I’m not exactly the most timely person to fix things, but I do my best when I am around.

As for Trek stepping down as admin, I’d support him becoming just an average member if he feels the stress is too much, but I think very few people would be able to fill his shoes, and even fewer would be able to last as long as he has doing his job.
Just your local dairy product. Pronouns: Buttery One, Butterball, Butterboy, Baby Butter, Land O' Lakes, Buttery Kitten.
Message me for information on the WH UK skype group! :)
Andrew
Senior
Senior

Post by Andrew » Friday December 29, 2017, 21:00 EST

Butter wrote:
Friday December 29, 2017, 18:55 EST
Tbh Andrew I wish you didn’t talk so condescendingly sometimes towards people. I think you sometimes put good points across but in ruder ways then they need to be.
Comes with the territory these days. People already have their minds made up no matter what is said or how it's said.
briefpuller
Professor
Professor

Post by briefpuller » Saturday December 30, 2017, 01:02 EST

Well moving right along here...
wedgiedudesti wrote:
Friday December 29, 2017, 09:55 EST
misunderstanding, they can always access it, but by posting they can unlock titles that can put next to there username. nothing more than that.
Gotcha...but are you suggesting titles we could choose from? We already have a titling system that automatically changes your little mini undies logos and ranking based on your post count here. How would your idea be different?
briefpuller
Professor
Professor

Post by briefpuller » Saturday December 30, 2017, 01:05 EST

Also another thing to consider..a lot of the ideas mentioned have been good ones, but I’m not super familiar with how this forum is run when we get down to the nitty and gritty of the coding and design. We may be limited in some features that we add or take away. Trek, how much freedom do we have to redesign or add features we come up with? Would it be worth it to seek out another hosting platform to put changes into effect?